Monday, March 17, 2008

This just in.

The results were published today from my Lisbon race. My official time was 1:54:03. I placed 2747 out of 4773. I guess that's good. I have to say this was a hard race for me. I think it was the fact that I did not get enough outdoor training.
The people in the race were serious and ran the whole race without stopping. I, on the other hand stopped a few times. Like I said in my previous posting 21 kilometers felt farther then 13.1 miles. The last few kilometers were hell. I was beat. I think part of this was due to the fact that I hardly slept the night before. I just could not sleep. The race started on a bridge and went all through the city and you could see some Lisbon's greatest sights on this path. The weather was cool at first then got warm and I have a sunburn on my shoulders and face. During the race they had camera crews on motorcycles and I was able to get one to film me saying hello to my mom. Not sure if anyone ever saw it, but I did it. When I finished, just like with other long races I have done, I was freezing and I only had my running uniform on (short-shorts and sleeveless shirt). They walked us through these huge lines where both races the half marathon and the fun 5k walk-run met and that was were total Portuguese caos broke lose. They were handing out bags with water and ice cream cones and the people were pushing and going crazy to get free stuff. This caos proceeded on the trains which the city made free considering there were 42,000 people running-walking. This race shut the city down for a few hours. It was cool though how many people from all ages were participating.
During the race I caught myself thinking in Portuguese, which is something I have not done in a while. This could be due in part to all the people speaking around me or my lack of sense from fatigue.

Things I learned:
I learned again that running outside is needed in order for me to keep racing. Lisbon and the Euro running community are serious runners. I learned that Portuguese people are all the same. They yell the funniest things to each other regardless whats going on. I learned that my Mom was up at 3 a.m. in California to watch in hopes that she would see me running. Totally sweet. I learned that I can run with out the Ipod since It turned off and I didn't notice it was off. I learned that my shoes are finally broken in. There was a point were I was thankful that I had good shoes on since the road was killing the rest of my body. Funny thing my big toe nails hurt after the race. Random, I know. An old but new thing I learned; I wish someone was running with me or waiting for me. It's totally exciting when your done and sucks that no is there and you just leave with your metal. I need to find a running partner.

3 comments:

Airgamboy said...

Next challenge should be to run wearing Euro-shoes!

Joe said...

Next year if I come to run the London Half Marathon....I will challenge myself to a Euro-shoe

Airgamboy said...

Wow! I cannot wait to see that!!!