Tuesday, January 29, 2008

13.1 Mile Break down

On Sunday I ran the ING Miami Half-Marathon. This was my farthest race to date. I wanted to give a little breakdown of how I felt, my times, and what I was thinking through the 13.1 miles.


Mile 1
We started out from the American Airlines Center. I was place in the C Corral because of my expected time of completion. I was really close to the front runners and this kinda made me nervous. My friend Greg stood with me while we were waiting for the race to start. They then moved up and a few minutes later we were off.

The first mile was from downtown toward a causeway bridge that provided views of the Miami port. Immediately upon reaching this causeway lots of people were pulling off to the shoulder to Pee. I thought this was strange but felt I needed to Pee as well. I was running at a great pace around 7:40 and the view over the ocean was awesome. There was 3-4 cruise ships lit up and very close to the causeway.


Mile 2
Much more of the same over the causeway. I was still doing good time, but started my inner monologue about why did I want to do this. I started thinking about find something better to do then running. I was wondering if my friend Greg would come get me if I decided to quit when I got to South Beach. Time was still good just little over 14 minutes the clock read. I hate the begining of races since they are fun and painful at the same time.


Mile 3
Coming off the causeway toward Miami Beach. My temperature was high and I was sweating big time. Still was not sure why I wanted to run. My breathing was not in control yet and things were still tight.

Mile 4
On Miami beach and I needed to Pee. I stopped went in a port-a-pottie and took a Gel shot for energy. I then drank water and Gatorade and continued on toward Ocean Blvd. It was kinda sad how empty the beach was, but it was early.


Mile 5
I reached here in around 35-40 minutes. I honestly can't remember. I was still feeling good, no knee pain and my breathing was finally good. I had decided at this point that I was going to only stop running at water stations since I can't run and drink at the same time I learned from the first water station.

Mile 6
I don't remember this mile to much.

Mile 7
Same, just running, but I remembered that I was going to start toward the other causeway soon, but I didn't see any bridges at this point. I was starting to slow down. I ate a banana they were giving out at the water station.

Mile 8
I took another Gel shot to get somemore energy. My knee was hurting a little here and I just wanted to be finished. The run was starting to take us through a really nice Palm tree lined neighborhood. Not to many people out at this point. It was still early in the A.M. I pushed pause on the Ipod and for about half this mile I could not figure out how to get back on.

Mile 9
I got a little second wind. I was starting a climb over one the draw bridges on the course. My time was getting better. I was trying to now keep up with the 3:45 pace leader since the 3:30 had passed me by at mile 8.

Mile 10
This had the loudest group of young people running a water station and that got me going a little more. As I came across the bridge I saw a Chicago Humane Society T-shirt which was the shirt my friend Greg was wearing. I started waving my arms like I needed to be saved from an Island. I stopped took a photo and he said," WOW, you are going fast." I didn't think I was going fast, but o.k. That made me feel good.


Mile 11
The Publix cheering section. The course narrowed and there were people on both sides of me yelling and holding signs. This got me pumped and my new favorite Rhianna song was on my Ipod. The water station here had the sweetest Gatorade, so I through it and I am sorry to the Man who's white shoes it spilled on. I was running at a good pace again at this mile, thanks to the music and cheering peoples energy.

Mile 12
I just wanted to be done. We were now going through downtown Miami again and at around the 12.5 mile mark they had huge balloons the separated the course from Half to Full Marathon. There were also people telling you which way to go. On this mile I had to slow down since my chest was hurting. It felt like I had heart burn or right heart pain.

Mile 13.1
Slow and easy I had already know from looking at my watch that I was going to finish in under 2 hours so I coasted the last two mile, plus I still had the chest hurt. The finish line was near and I pushed my chest out like I had seen other runners do in the past and cameras went off and I was done.

I walked through the long finish line gated area. I got a towel handed to me and then my metal. It had a palm tree on it with a fake diamond in the middle. I grabbed a Banana and a bagel for my Friend Greg. Then a few Cliff bars. I proceeded to walk toward the photo area and out the family waiting area. I waited for Greg and I was Freezing. The weather had become cloudy and looked as if it was going to rain at this point and my sweat was keeping me cool. Greg showed up and we took a few pictures and then I limped back to the car where I then came home and took a nap.


Things I learned:


I learned that I do like running. The hardest part is the first 3 miles. I learned to not count down how many miles are left. I was doing this and was disappointed when I realized I had added wrong and had more miles left then I thought. Running is not a good time to do math in your head. I learned that Miami is a great city, but I had wished more people would have come out to support us like they do in Chicago. I learned that the Ipod is your best and worst friend when you are running. Plan ahead and get your music all lined up so you don't have to keep changing songs. I learned that training on the treadmill is kinda pointless. You get the distance you need, but your legs and knees don't get the stress of the road that builds endurance and speed. I learned that when someone offers you water, take it. A little sip keeps your throat from getting dry and is something to look forward to from mile to mile. I learned I would love to have a running partner. I had a good time running alone, but was envious of those who had someone to be there and to also push you when you get tired. I learned 13.1 miles is just the start of it all. To really become a runner you need to take on more and more miles. Then work on your speed. I learned that starting out fast is not always the best. You look good, but you get tired early. Slow down the first few miles then push to get a fast time.

Finally, I learned I could do it. This was a great feeling and now I will keep doing it and push myself harder. I now know what I need to do to get a better time and increase my distance.

No comments: